baking in sweden, best kanelbullar, cinnamon buns, cinnamon buns recipe, cinnamon rolls, kanelbullar dag, kanelbullar recept, kanelbullens dag, pastry day, svenskar bakar, sweden bakes, swedish recipes, swedish traditional day, swedish traditions
Today in Sweden is Kanelbullens Dag or Cinnamon Rolls Day, a very loved and delicious holiday for the swedes! That’s why I thought, why not share my very own kanelbullar recipe? Kanelbullar are part of the “fika” tradition in every day lives of swedish people, but in this particular day you`ll find them everywhere around Sweden, in coffee shops, pastry shops, supermarkets, even in small food trucks. Certainly, this is a day where the smell of the warm baked cinnamon buns and coffee is all over the place! The tradition is quite new among swedes, existing since 1999.
And to celebrate this day like a swede, I baked myself some. My cinnamon rolls recipe or kanelbullar recipe is simple, little bit adapted to my own rules, because I don`t like spending time in the kitchen so I always try to find the short way or improvise. 😀 Because all my friends loves them and I always promise I`ll give the recipe but I end up forgetting, I decided is a good moment to write my cinnamon buns recipe here! I proudly have to say that many swedes have actually praised my buns! 🙂
Kanelbullar recept / Cinnamon rolls recipe
- 250 gr butter
- 2.5 dl milk
- 1.2 kg white wheat
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 50 gr dry yeast
- 4 tbsp Vanilkessela (in Sweden) or vanilla fat yoghurt
- 1 egg
- much cinnamon – I always improvise
- 200 gr sugar
- some oliveoil
- pearl sugar and crushed almonds for decoration
In my kanelbullar recept you`ll have to follow these steps:
- Warm up the milk to the body temperature (37 C) and add 150 gr of the butter, mixing until it melts and becomes smooth.
- Mix in a big bowl: 1.1 kg wheat with the cardamom, 100 gr sugar, the dry yeast, 1 tsp salt and 1 spoon of oil.
- Add the milk & butter warm content over, and start to knead, adding slowly each spoon of vanilla yoghurt. That should make the dough softer. You can add wheat in case you may need. The dough should`t be too hard, nor too soft.
- Let it grow 30 min in a warm room or in the oven with warm air at 30 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, melt down 100 gr butter with 2 spoons of oil and mix it until smooth.
- When the dough is ready, spread it in 2 parts, take the first part and stretch with the roller it into a rectangle, add melted butter on all the surface, sprinkle a layer of sugar, then a layer of cinnamon, and last I add some more vanilla sugar. As you prefer.. Then you roll it into a tube, and cut slices of 2, 3 cm.. With this kanelbullar recept you`ll have around 35 buns. If you feel it`s too small, you can roll one slice over another. You decide! Then you do the same with the other part of dough.
7. Lay them on oven paper and let them grow 30 minutes more. Then when you feel they look big enough, put some egg wash over them and the decorations and put them 8 minutes in the preheated oven at 210 – 220 C. Depends on your oven. Mine is too strong so I let them in 205 for 10 min.
And that was my very own kanelbullar recept which it became so long even though I tried to shorten it… People tell my I speak much, apparently now I also write much 🙂
Cinnamon Rolls work perfectly with fresh homemade almond milk or coffee. Don`t eat too many, since they are full of calories. To me it`s a pleasure smelling them, inviting my friends to them, but when it comes to eating… I strongly resist eating more than 1! If you want to make it and you have any questions, just write me here and I`ll help.
Happy Kanelbullar Day!! And…enjoy my cinnamon rolls recipe!
With love from Sweden,